Sponsored projects include grants, cooperative agreements and contracts received from sponsoring agencies.
- The university requires effort certification for faculty, staff and students funded by projects sponsored through federal and state agencies, private foundations, organizations, and industry. In addition, university funding of faculty, staff or student effort committed to a project as cost sharing is included in the effort certification process as well as all other university funds. Certification is documented on the individual’s Personnel Activity Report (PAR).
- Cost sharing refers to that portion of the total costs of a sponsored project borne by the university. All committed (mandatory as well as committed voluntary) cost sharing must be adequately documented in the university's records. The university will make a cost-sharing commitment only when required by the sponsor or by the competitive nature of the award and then only to the extent necessary to meet the specific requirements of the sponsored project.
- All expenditure transfers to or from a sponsored project must be recorded in the receiving fund within 90 days after the initial charge was recorded or prior to the submission of the final expenditure report to the sponsor, or the final request for reimbursement from the sponsor, whichever occurs first.
- Ensuring Principal Investigators are aware of their responsibility
- Assuring that proposals are in compliance with all university policies
- Monitoring new grants and contracts or continuations to ensure that agreements are processed and accounts are established in a timely manner
- Approving expenditures
- Reviewing and approving research proposals and budgets of faculty before they are submitted to Office of Sponsored Programs
- Approving any commitment of departmental resources, including space, personnel and financial support
- Ensuring the university’s monthly budget and expenditure reports are reconciled to departmental records
- Ensuring, along with the Principal Investigator, that any subcontractor’s activities are in accordance with the primary agreement, the work has been performed, and the changes are appropriate
- Reviewing accounts for reasonableness and following up immediately on over-expenditures or other unusual items in the accounts
- Policy #3105 – Effort Certification
- Policy #3240 – Consistency in Charging Administrative and Clerical Costs
- Policy #3245 – Cost Sharing on Sponsored Projects
- Policy #3255 – Cost Transfers on Sponsored Projects
- Policy #13010 – Faculty Conflicts of Interest and Commitment
- Office of Sponsored Programs